Because MMS is the GLOBAL student information system for the ENTIRE district, including special education, services-only and outplacement students, it is possible that a student can have multiple records across multiple schools
Any time you register a new student, no matter what grade level, you need to do a "find student" to make sure that student does not already have a record and ID# within MMS. This will prevent you from creating a new ID# for a student who already has one within MMS, no matter what the grade. It also will save you data entry time because if you find a student who already has a record within MMS, you can copy that record to your school in the current school year with one click of a button.
1. Click on the "Biogr" button, choose "Operations" and click "Find a Student"
2. Enter the first few letters of the student's last name and click "Find"
3. If you find there is already a record for the student, highlight the most recent existing record and click "Copy Record"
4. Click "Yes" to copy the biographical and contact records
5. **IMPORTANT** Find the student's record you just copied to your school (it may be "Inactive") and do the following: